Image Map

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Care Packages & Tex Mex

I've gotten much better about checking the mail since we've been in Alaska. Good thing since I've been getting some awesome care packages.

My Dad has been sending hilarious postcards and photos from their recent visit.  Eventually I'll finish recapping their trip.

My friends and I have a slight (ok, large) bacon obsession. I loved getting this from them.


Yesterday I got the cutest Happy Fall box all the way from Oklahoma. N's stepmom, Jannette, gets me.  She sent an adorable pumpkin loaf pan with pumpkin pecan bread mix, and all kinds of other fall goodies.  She also sent some cans of Rotel which was perfect. I already used a can to make some guacamole. Delicious!



I've been trying my best to recreate Tex Mex at home since we've all but given up on the Mexican restaurants here. Nathanial's mom, Pam, was here over the weekend for a great visit and surprised N by bringing a canteen of his favorite queso from home. Sunday evening we planned a meal around it and I made some salsa for our taco salads.


Today in an effort to use up some of the remaining salsa (there's so much!) I made my own version of chicken fajitas.  It was easy to make and really delicious so I thought I would share the recipe.

Fajita Rub

Mix together the following:

1/4 c Chili Powder
2 TBS Sea Salt
2 TBS Paprika
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Ground Cumin

I rubbed the seasoning on both sides of a chicken breast and threw it in a skillet with some olive oil.  I cooked for several minutes on each side and then cut into strips and cooked a few more minutes.

I topped with salsa and rolled in a tortilla. Perfection.

I still have a good amount of the rub left so I poured it in a Ziploc baggy for future use.




No comments:

Post a Comment