Image Map

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Whole Lot of Grilling

Did you know that your left lung is divided into two parts while your right lung has three parts? Yea me either. Thank goodness for Bill Nye. We just realized that old episodes were on Netflix so we've been watching them. Bill Nye is just as awesome as I remember but a whole lot more cheesy too. 

Other than a whole lot of science, we've been doing a whole lot of grilling. I joked that I need another weekend to recover from my weekend. 

We kicked off Memorial Day weekend by grilling up some steaks my brother sent Nathanial for his birthday. We sent him reindeer meat and he sent Omaha steaks. It was easily one of the best steaks I've ever had. So delicious. It was one of those meals where I felt guilty not having people over because all the food was so incredible. 



Saturday I did a long run with my running group and then we got some things done around the house. Hotel Wells will be hosting our first set of five of guests in two weeks. Can't wait!

The weather has been so beautiful lately that I've been dying to have a picnic. I sold our pastor on the idea for Memorial Day weekend. Coordinating a meal with friends is a lot different than coordinating a whole church. It was both incredibly stressful and rewarding at the same time. Unfortunately it rained all day Saturday and was pretty chilly on Sunday so my outdoor picnic quickly became an indoor picnic. I set the tables up in long rows so it still had a picnic feel. 


I was pleased with how everything turned out. I received lots of compliments and thanks which in a church of older people is sometimes hard to come by. My favorite part was seeing different groups of people interact. 


I got so many crazy looks buying this many buns at Costco. 

We spent Memorial Day at our friends' house. They just moved about an hour out of the city. Their house had the perfect setup for the nearly 20 people that showed up. They had tons of room for all the kiddos to play outside and lots of space for the grown ups too. It was such a great day with great friends. We played lots of games and even did Minute it to Win It. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. 

Nathanial manned the grill again and we ate well. Shish kabobs, steaks and hot dogs for the kids. Couldn't have been better. 

Alaskans refer to grilling as barbecuing and it drives me crazy. It's only BBQ with the right sauce and brisket. We had a weekend of GRILLING and I loved it. 


Funny story - I bought cream cheese at Costco because I use it in a lot of recipes. What I didn't realize was that the kind I bought was a giant block and not individual packages. 


Needless to say, I've been thinking of ways to use it. Cheesecake seemed like the perfect dessert to take to our friends. 

I topped it with fresh strawberries before serving. 

And because I love a theme, I also made a blueberry pie. Love red, white and blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment