Image Map

Monday, April 18, 2016

When Things Are Hard

I haven't posted much since the move. Life in Texas is a lot less unique than our time in Alaska and frankly it's been pretty tough too. It's been hard for me to find the words to write. 

Nathanial lost his job a little over a month ago. It wasn't completely unexpected given the current climate in oil and gas but that didn't make it any easier. I have been looking for a position since we moved and nothing seemed to be working out. We suddenly found ourselves both out of work. In the midst of that, some serious health stuff came up with my dad. 

At the end of last week, I accepted a job offer, so things feel like they are looking up.  While I wouldn't volunteer for more hard stuff, I am thankful for the growth that I have experienced through all of this. 

Here's what I learned about when things are hard:

* Have Faith
Even on the hardest days, I had knew I could trust in my relationship with God. Certain scriptures really spoke to me and gave me comfort. 

"Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail." Lamentations 3:22

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast because they trust in you." Isaiah 26:3

Above all, I was able to trust that God's ways are better than my ways and that His plan was beyond anything I could imagine.  Drawing closer to Him gave me peace and hope. 

* Look for the Blessing
This situation has shown me that no matter the circumstance, you can find the good in it. Not working meant lots of free time. I was able to spend more time with family and friends and lots of time practicing hobbies. N and I have perfected the art of cooking ribs and my calligraphy has really improved. 

* Surround Yourself with Good People
It hasn't been easy for me to talk about what has been happening. Regardless of how anti-social I was, some incredible people poured into me during this time. Countless calls, texts and prayers occurred. It was such an encouragement to know we weren't facing anything alone. 

* Attitude Matters
Bad things will happen. How you respond is what shows your character. 




1 comment:

  1. Amen and Amen! We continue to pray for you both every day.

    ReplyDelete