Image Map

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

When A Good Weekend Goes Bad

The weather this weekend was beautiful so we decided to head up to the property in Huntsville. It's always a welcome change to spend time outdoors soaking up the sunshine and Nathanial is able to let off some steam by doing manly things like ripping down fences. 

There are several large piles that needed to be burned so we figured that would be a good way to kickoff the day. 

Nathanial got the area ready by cutting up a huge dead tree, mowing the grass, etc. 


I loved seeing him and my dad together.


The fire started pretty quickly but some of the larger parts weren't going. Nathanial headed over to add some gasoline to the fire. 

What happened next is a blur. I remember a large whoosh sound and seeing a big fireball.

Nathanial took off running amid screams from my dad and I. At first he seemed to be fine but when he started pouring a case of bottled water on himself, I knew it wasn't good. 

His arms turned red and then gray pretty quickly, so he agreed to go the emergency room. They got us right in and began the process of trying to stop the burning. His face and arms were burned pretty badly. 


I'm not a great crisis wife to begin with and when the nurse started talking about the worst case scenarios, I lost it. I was crying so loudly she asked what she could do for me. I wanted to say stop terrifying me, but instead just pulled myself together. 

We spent the next few hours at the E.R.  Once his skin was cooled down, they applied burn cream and bandaged him up. They gave us some supplies for the rest of the week along with good instructions on how to care for the burns. 

It is evident God protected Nathanial given the amount of hair burned off around his head and his complete lack of eyelashes. We are so incredibly thankful. 
It could have been so much worse.

Nathanial has handled everything extremely well. No whining and minimal wincing when the burn cream is applied. He's a trooper. He has even managed to make it to work all week. Today has been  his highest pain level because parts of his skin are really stiff and other parts are raw. Please pray for his continued healing and that there will be no complications or infections. 


No comments:

Post a Comment