Image Map

Monday, August 31, 2015

Old Soul

If you follow me on Instagram, then you already saw this picture.

My sweet husband made french toast after I got back from my very cold long run.  My running group went out for an hour. It was 40 and windy.  My leg pain started flaring up within the first mile so it wasn't a great morning.  It was nice to come home to such a good breakfast.  I got cleaned up and then dressed in fleece from head to toe. I got an ice pack on my leg and settled in for a good morning of watching This Old House curled up under a blanket. I posted a caption to this effect on Instagram and my decade-older brother asked when I turned 80. 


I guess I do have old soul tendencies.

My favorite hobby of late has been watching old movies with Nathanial.  There's just something to be said for the romance and elegance of movies with people like Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. How without a hint of innuendo or foul language, a great love story can be conveyed. It's refreshing to watch something both wholesome and entertaining. We're currently watching Roman Holiday and it is not disappointing.

We've also been making a lot of homemade ice cream.  I planned an Ice Cream Social at church with one of the older Sunday School classes. I thought it would be a good way to bridge the age gap and enjoy each other's company. It was great fun. Older people have the best stories to tell.  I didn't anticipate how much Nathanial and I would enjoy making ice cream though. We made 4 different kinds for the social and have made more since then.  


Growing up, my parents always used to give ice cream freezers as wedding gifts. It wasn't until Nathanial and I started making ice cream lately that I realized why.  It's such a fun activity to do together.

Aside from watching movies and making ice cream, we've really been enjoying nature. There's a mountain near our house that is perfect for sunset and Northern Lights viewing. We've been doing a lot of both.


We heard the Northern Lights were supposed to be out last Thursday.  We headed up to the Flat Top trail head around 12:30 Friday morning. It was cold and dark with no Aurora to be seen.  Those kind of memories are worth the exhaustion though.  When in Alaska!

We've been lucky to see lots of moose lately.  We even saw two in one day!


The best double we've seen lately though was a double rainbow. The colors were so vibrant!


Here it is over our house.


And at a nearby intersection.

This talk of being old reminds me that I never recapped my birthday. It was a wonderful day with birthday wishes from near and far (my friend Kendra even texted me from London.) 


Birthday selfie!

I rang in the morning with a birthday run - 2.7 miles in honor of my age. I was thankful I wasn't older since I slept in a little and going further would have made me late for work. 

Nathanial spoiled me with sushi for lunch, a cake pop and gorgeous red roses.

My parents sent gifts and even shipped a cake.


For dinner, Nathanial and I decided to check out the "nicest steak place in town." I just have to laugh because I can't remember who gave us the recommendation but they couldn't have been more wrong.

The restaurant was in an old funeral home. That should have been our first indication of the niceness. Ha! Tourists were walking around in shorts and so were a few of the waitresses.  A native Alaskan came in and started trying to sell some crafts before he was run out by one of the waiters.  It felt and smelled like a pool hall.  

The food wasn't spectacular and the experience was definitely laughable.  Oh Alaska.  I will never understand your restaurants.




It was a truly memorable birthday. I can't wait to see what this year has in store.  And to my very much older brother - you will always be closer to 80 than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment